Xterra / Cross-trialthon
Full name? Brodie Dylan Gardner
How long have you been competing in your sport for? I’ve been competing in triathlon for 7 years, however made the switch to primarily focus on Xterra and Cross-triathlon 18 months ago.
Where do you call home? Sunshine Coast, Australia
What is your focus within your sport (what sub-discipline of your sport do you do most)? Xterra / Cross-triathlon
Why do you like that aspect the most? Nothing beats being outdoors and amongst nature and I think off-road triathlon embraces this far better than traditional on-road tri’s as it allows you to race in some of the most amazing places on the planet such as up the outside of the majestic Mt Mayon volcano in the Philippines. In addition, I believe a more well-rounded athletic ability is required to be successful as you not only need to be strong in all three disciplines but also technically skillful at mountain biking and trail running.
What is the strangest thing that has happened to you whilst doing your sport? After missing the official pre-course ride for Xterra Philippines in 2015, a group of us went out to recon the mountain bike course ourselves. What should’ve been a 1.5-2 hour ride ended up involving over 3.5 hours of consistently getting lost in thick jungle. To make matters worse, even once out of the forest we had to navigate our way back to the hotel for almost 1 hour through thick Philippine traffic in the dark without lights. How we all managed to avoid a collision with a Jeepney still eludes me!
Do you have a local claim to fame (fittest, fastest, funniest, smelliest, etc.)? Probably not something to be proud of, but I’d most likely take the John McEnroe award for dummy spits during Wednesday afternoon swim sets.
Do you promote an annual event or are you involved in charitable cause? I don’t have any official event ambassador roles, however I always try to actively promote the local Australian Cross-triathlon races to assist the small organisations they’re run by as well as helping to grow and promote the sport in Australia.
Notable recent results?
• Australian Cross-Triathlon national championships – 2nd
• Xterra Philippines – 3rd
• Victorian Cross-triathlon championships – 2nd
• Xterra World Championships – 22nd
• Rainbow Beach Double Triathlon – 3rd
• Australian Cross-Triathlon series (cumulative point score from 6 national series races) – 2nd
• Queensland Cross-Triathlon championships – 3rd
• Xterra Asia-Pacific Championships – 7th
• Oceania Cross-Triathlon Championships – DNF
• Xterra Philippines – 4th
• Queensland Tre-X Back2Back cross-triathlon – 1st
Anything else you would like to add?
• I have a Masters in Clinical Exercise Physiology and Rehabilitation, Bachelor of Science (Sport & Exercise) - Honours and when I'm not training and chasing sporting dreams of my own, I'm helping others achieve theirs. Currently I work with over 50 local athletes each week across a variety a sports and abilities that includes current Australian swimming champions, professional mountain bikers, elite runners as well as the everyday athletes who are aiming to get fit and finish local fun run etc.